Monday, September 12, 2011

Recipe: Hand-Me-Down German Pancake with Brown Sugar Apples

This recipe has been in my family for generations! Much controversy focuses on whether it is actually a French or a German pancake (some have even said 'Swedish' and we are Hungarian so what gives?) Who  really cares, anyway? "Not I," said the cat. It's delicious! My mother made it for me when I was a little girl; we used to eat it spread with raspberry jam and dusted with cinnamon and sugar. The apples are my own adaptation. It can also be eaten alone with just maple syrup. This is Chance and Merit's all time favorite breakfast at the Bed and Breakfast. I always make extra so I can bring some home for them. 


For Pancake:


1/2 stick butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt


For Apples:


2 large apples
3 tablespoons sweet butter
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
dash of cinnamon (opt.)


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  In a medium bowl, beat eggs very lightly. Add in remaining pancake ingredients and beat together till mixed but still lumpy. Set aside. In a medium cast iron skillet, melt  the 1/2 stick butter on stovetop till bubbling. Add batter to skillet and place in oven to bake for 25 minutes. Pancake will be golden and puffy in parts,


While pancake is baking, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a frying pan until lightly bubbling. Add apples and cook  over medium heat until apples just begin to soften - about 5 mins. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and toss together till sugar is melted into butter and apples are well coated.


To serve, cut pancake into slices. Place slices on individual plates and spread apples across the top, drizzling a little of the brown sugar syrup on each slice. Can be eaten as is, or with maple syrup. For extra effect confectioners sugar can be sprinkled on top.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I can taste it just thinking about it:) you fed my Mom and I with wonderful food when we stayed last summer:))) we are dreaming if our next trip!

    ReplyDelete